Monday, June 26, 2006

Article: I am Not a Womb, I am a Woman

Gilles d'Aymery of Swans suggests that this article might be of interest, and I agree. While it applies to the U.S. health care system, and I use the term loosely, it is an interesting discussion of the overall attitude towards women as reproductive units rather than people who might want jobs, contraception, or other alternatives to becoming ready to produce a healthy baby.

The long and the short of it is that "experts recommend" that women spend their entire reproductive lives ready to get pregnant, including never smoking nor drinking alcohol. These recommendations and all the others, such as "control obesity," "keep your vaccinations up to date," and "avoid rat feces" are good advice to anyone. However, I do not expect to see the U.S. government banning all cigarette or alcohol advertisements with women in them any time soon. How much better, Ms. Hromic points out, to enable women to get the jobs they need to live support a healthy life and the contraception they need to avoid pregnancy. It's a very interesting article with a definite point to make.

Follow the link to read "I am Not a Womb, I am a Woman" by Alma A. Hromic.

I might also suggest that a really good health program would ensure that women have the martial arts skills to fend off attackers. Sexual assault and spousal abuse kill more women than heart disease and lung cancer combined in the U.S.

(Button from www.evolvefish.com)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts